I have recently spoken to a number of Americans who consider themselves "conservative" in their political beliefs. I have also spoken to a number who consider themselves "liberal" in their political beliefs. We define our party affiliation, as a general rule, using these to labels. Conservatives are generally Republican and liberals are generally Democrats. I'd like to look at Conservatives first and break down what it really means to have conservative political views; the good, and the bad.

Webster's defines "conservative" as: a : tending or disposed to maintain existing views, conditions, or institutions : traditional b : marked by moderation or caution <a conservative estimate> c : marked by or relating to traditional norms of taste, elegance, style, or manners

For starters, I don't know ANYONE who is disposed to maintaining current conditions in our government. Anyone who maintains that the status quo government is benefitting them probably isn't feeling the economic pinch that the vast majority of America is feeling. As far as institutions, well, this is a grayer area than current conditions. I favor maintaining our democratic system of government, but I do not favor maintaining it in its present, inefficient state. I advocate change in our government insofar as the individuals who run it and the manner in which it is run. Does this make me conservative? To a degree, but it also makes me a liberal in that I advocate reform and change from the status quo. With regards to existing views, this is an even grayer area than the previous two. If, by views, one refers to the "C" definition and incorporates traditional norms of taste, elegance, style, or manners, then I am more conservative than I am liberal. I advocate a two-parent house over a single parent house, but only if both parents are working together to make that house a home and raise their children to be productive members of society. If not, in the instance of physical abuse or substance abuse, then a single parent house is better for all persons involved. I advocate raising your children to be responsible adults rather than victims of society. If this makes me conservative, then so be it. I advocate expressing your rights under the US Constitution to their fullest, as long as your rights don't supercede the rights of others. I go to the church of my choosing, worship as I choose to worship, and live my life to the best of my ability. These are my rights. However, I do NOT force my viewpoints onto others, especially if they have informed me they don't agree with me. This encompasses politics, religion, social issues, and personal values. I am free to say that I personally don't agree with homosexuality, but will NOT condem a homosexual or those that support them. This is not my place, nor is it my right to exert my opinions forcefully over those of another American. I am free to say that I personally don't agree with "Christians" who espouse hate towards any group of people (Westboro Baptist Church). A true Christian follows the teachings of their faith, and loves their fellow man as they love themselves. Let the judgement come from God. I am free to say that I personally don't agree with abortion, however, will never tell a woman she cannot get an abortion. It is not in my realm to regulate her body. No more than I can regulate what she eats or drinks. I don't feel that abortions should be publically funded. It is a personal choice that should be personally funded. Period. I also am free to say that condemning an entire group of people based on their religious beliefs, sexual preference, color, creed, ethnicity, gender, age, or any other government affixed "demographic label" following the actions of a few lunatics. Example, I don't condemn all of Islam because of 9/11. I have read the Qu'ran and found nothing in it that says kill innocent humans. I have also seen a degree of loyalty coming from Muslims, true Muslims and not extremists, that is tough to find in this country. Are the individuals that pervert a religion, cause, social status, or personal belief in order to accomplish a goal; of course there are. But these are the exception, not the rule.

Being conservative today has gotten a bad reputation. The actions of a few, in the name of being conservative, or being Republican, should not endanger the overall conservative population. On the other side of the coin, being a liberal does not mean that you want everything to change all the time. If that was the case, then you would never want your liberal politician to get re-elected. Re-election of a politician is a disposition to maintaining existing views, conditions, or institutions, the definition of conservative.

I have gotten more personal on this issue than others we have discussed here on CSS, but I felt the need to express my 1st Amendment right to freedom of speech and expression. These are my opinions. I sincerely hope this doesn't cause anyone to think less of me, but if it does, that is your right. In America today, no one can say they are 100% conservative or 100% liberal. To do so is a lie and a farse. Are we more or less of one or the other; absolutely, but we can no longer remain totally committed to either. Just as we can no longer vote straight party lines and truly believe that it is what is best for the country. Common sense folks, let's use it.